Although these energy resources are essential for transportation, lighting and heating, discovering and developing such resources has become increasingly complex.
Therefore, we work on a daily basis to overcome these challenges and we commit ourselves to provide cleaner, safer, more efficient and more accessible energy.
Total Austral, 40 years of presence and experience in Argentina
Some of the country’s most significant oil and gas reserves are located under the seabed. Developing such reserves entails facing several challenges, since offshore operations are technically complex and are conducted in remote areas, without infrastructure, and in particularly adverse weather conditions.
However, our exploration and production teams benefit from the experience acquired over four decades in the country, as well as the know-how that has made Total Group one of the industry’s top offshore operators worldwide.
This allows us to be successful at the time of implementing and leading large projects. Thus, in Tierra del Fuego, we operate onshore field Ara-Cañadon Alfa and offshore fields Hidra, Kaus, Carina, Aries and Vega Pleyade. Offshore production accounts for approximately 51% of Total Austral’s oil and gas operated production.
In the Neuquen Basin, Total Austral holds equity interests in eleven blocks covering over 4500 km2, and operates five of such blocks, including Aguada Pichana and San Roque fields. In addition to conventional resources, these concessions include unconventional oil and gas exploration and production in the promising Vaca Muerta shale formation.
Some milestones that mark our experience
- Major offshore projects. Vega Pleyade field in Tierra del Fuego was a project developed by cross-functional teams made up of specialists from different countries which was completed in two years and a half. It is the world’s southernmost development and involved building and installing a sea platform in 50-meter depth, tied back to onshore facilities via a 77-km offshore pipeline. This field is located in an area lacking any offshore infrastructure, which required mobilizing heavy logistic equipment and conducting operations in extreme weather conditions.
- Unconventional resources’ development (tight gas and shale gas). Total Austral considers that unconventional resources are key to our future growth strategy. Our first steps in this play were taken in Aguada Pichana back in 2008, where we started a horizontal well drilling campaign to develop reservoirs of tight gas from tight sands that are currently in production. Later, we conducted an extensive exploration campaign and two shale gas development pilot projects in Vaca Muerta formation, Aguada Pichana and Rincon La Ceniza – La Escalonada, which reached higher than expected production levels and allowed to confirm the long-term commercial feasibility of shale gas. These milestones are driving unconventional activities to an industrial scale through the launch of the first phase of the shale gas development in Aguada Pichana Este. The first phase of this project involves drilling around 20 wells per year and requires an investment of approximately US$ 300 million in the first year. Thus, we have become one of the pioneers and key operators in Vaca Muerta shale gas play.
- Natural gas production. This resource currently accounts for over 90% of our production. Out of all the fossil fuels, natural gas is the cleanest one. Thus, we adhere locally to the environmental protection premise established by Total Group globally.
- Responsible operator. In all the projects we put into operation, we affirm our commitment to ensure a safe work environment for the people, as well as the facilities and the environment. We believe that responsible energy supply entails adhering to the highest safety standards. For this reason, we exceed local demands and establish our own guidelines to conduct our projects safely.
Total Austral in figures
- Operated production 2017: 225 kbpd.
- Country’s 2nd gas producer (operated production: 32.62 Mm3/d).
- Over 1100 permanent and contract employees.
Visit our business and other websites